- Read Matthew 28:18-20: 18 Then Jesus came close to them and said, “All authority of the universe has been given to me. 19 Now wherever you go, make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. 20 And teach them to faithfully follow all that I have commanded you. And never forget that I am with you every day, even to the completion of this age.”
Rick and I were married on August 17, 1974 at the ripe age of 18! The week after our wedding we attended a freshman orientation week at Biola College in Southern California and began a journey with Jesus at Biola and beyond. Biola gave us a firm foundation and focused our lives on a mission to make disciples of all nations. We received a heart for India at Biola and also began to practice how to make disciples in our neighborhood while attending college. We have pursued the ministry of Jesus in our lives ever since and it has taken us from California to Florida to Georgia to India to Sri Lanka to Chicago and more. We have spent our lives on a mission walking side by side and it has been a great adventure!
Below are questions to ponder from Francis and Lisa Chan’s book called You and Me Forever about Marriage in light of our mission.
Rick and I listened to this message on you tube and found it very inspiring in light of our own marriage of 47 years as of August 17th! Francis and Lisa Chan – Marriage Night!
- Is the primary goal of your marriage to be on mission together for God making disciples? What does a “missional marriage” look like?
- Why does pursing God’s mission together help a marriage thrive?
- What happens if only one spouse feels a calling to do something, like sometimes happens?
- Lisa and Francis challenged us in the video to take a step of faith and do something, put what we are hearing into action. Who can you bless this week? Who can you serve?
- Take a moment right now and discuss with your spouse (or reflect silently, if your spouse isn’t present).
What is God calling you to do? Are you willing to pursue God’s mission for your marriage even over your own comfort? What scares you about fully submitting to what God has called you to do? What does it mean for your lifestyle?
praying for you all and would love to hear your feedback!