- Extraordinary Prayer – In every known Movement around the world, prayer is overwhelmingly important. Prayer is and must be the foundation for our plan of reaching his or her people group. Thus, the health of the our personal prayer life is crucial. The new church and its leaders will imitate the prayer life they see in us.
• Pray for God to enable the laborers in the harvest fields to walk in intimate conversational relationship with Him so that they might bear much fruit that remains for His glory (John 15:4-8).
4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.
• Pray that God’s people will not grow weary in doing good, which, in this case, is the good work of prayer (Mt 7:7-11).
7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. 8 For everyone who asks receives; the one who seeks finds; and to the one who knocks, the door will be opened.9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! 1
• Pray that God’s people will have God’s heart for the lost for whom they pray. After all, they are only adding their prayers to Jesus’ own prayer (John 17:20-21).
20 “My prayer is not for them alone. I pray also for those who will believe in me through their message, 21 that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us so that the world may believe that you have sent me.
• Pray for God’s people to be bold to pray as commanded in Luke 10:9; Mt 10:8.
9 Heal the sick who are there and tell them, ‘The kingdom of God has come near to you.
8 Heal the sick, raise the dead, cleanse those who have leprosy,[a] drive out demons. Freely you have received; freely give.
So my Thursday night prayer group on zoom for South Asia prayed through this topic last week. There are twelve topics we will pray for regarding disciple making movements in the next few months. I plan to cover each of these for the next 12 weeks here on my blog also.
We have seen remarkable answers to prayer as we pray for workers to go out and make disciple makers reaching new villages and communities in India and Sri Lanka. The next step for them is to pass on the new discovery groups to young Timothys (younger believers) who can do the work and encourage their people to reach out to their neighbors so that disciples will be multiplied.
I encourage you to pray for your communities in this same way as we reach the unreached in our day through ordinary people!
In Sri Lanka, teams of two are being sent out among the youth, the women and the men as they visit new villages that are unreached in their own districts.
What area can you pray for today that is on your heart?
Let me know and I will also pray for you!
(ideas taken from Robin Smith of Beyond)